Bundle includes Stereo Handheld Digital Audio Recorder and USB Audio Interface (Tascam DR-05x) with professional high sensitivity stereo omnidirectional microphones (SP-EHB-2-HS)
About the SP-EHB-2
Sound Professionals Ear-Hook Binaural microphones are mounted in extremely comfortable super-soft, Ear Hook holders that slip right onto the outside of the ear structure (see photo). This results in extremely realistic recordings, from the perspective of the person wearing them.
While recording, your hearing is not impaired at all, since the microphones are outside the ear structure. The cables terminate in a stereo 1/8″ (3.5mm) gold-plated miniplug.
- Flat frequency response
- Omni-directional pickup patterns
- Small size
- Can be used directly with any recorder that has “plug-in-power” or with battery module
- Produces extremely realistic recordings
- Pickup Pattern: Omnidirectional
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz – 20,000 Hz +/-1dB
- Sensitivity: -30dB ±3dB @ 94dB SPL
- S/N Ratio: 68dB
- Maximum SPL at 12vdc: 115dB
- Dynamic Range: 109dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
- Impedance: 2.2 kOhms
- Voltage range – 2vdc – 12vdc (48v on XLR version)
- Current draw: 500 µA
Tascam DR-05x setup instructions for Court Reporter use. The page numbers referenced are from the Tascam DR-05x manual
Descriptions of buttons (page 6):
white square = ON/OFF and HOME
> = Play and “ENTER”
+ = Raise the level
– = Lower the level
|<< = Move cursor left; go back one track; rewind
>>| = More cursor right; go forward one track; fast-forward
red o = record button
Steps to setup recorder for maximum results when Court Reporting:
1 – Unpack recorder and install the memory card and batteries per manufacturer’s instructions (Page 7). Note, if you prefer to use rechargeable batteries, you can purchase them here
2 – Turn recorder “on” by holding down the HOME button for a few seconds (until a message on the screen appears)
3 – Cursor is on “English” – press ENTER
4 – Enter the current date and time. Use the + and – buttons to select the year. Press >>| to move the cursor to the month and use the + or – to select the month. Press >>| to move the cursor to the day and use the + or – to select the day of the month. Press >>| to move the cursor to the hour and use the + or – to select the hour (military time). Press >>| to move the cursor to the minute and use the + or – to select the minute. No need to select the seconds. Press ENTER.
5 – The screen will say “FORMAT ERROR, FORMAT CARD”. The memory card needs to be formatted for this recorder. To do so, press ENTER, then press “MENU”. Use the + or – to select “SYSTEM”, press ENTER. Use the + or – to select “QUICK FORMAT”. Press “ENTER”, then “ENTER” again, then the >>| button.
6 – Use the + or – to select “REC SETTING”, press ENTER. Use the + or – to select “TYPE”, press ENTER. Use the + or – to select “MONO”, press HOME.
7 – Press “RECORD” one time ONLY. The REC light should be flashing. This indicated that the recorder in the “RECORD STANDBY” mode. It is not recording – it is READY to record.
8 – Press the “QUICK” button. “LEVEL MODE” is highlighted. Press ENTER. Use the + or – to select “AUTO”, press ENTER. This is VERY important as this mode will automatically adjust the recording level as needed based on the sound level of the people speaking. If they get quiet, the recorder will automatically raise the recording level. If people get too loud, the recorder will automatically lower the recording level. This will make sure that all of the speakers will be heard in the recording without any distortion.
9 – When you are ready to start recording, press “RECORD” again. The red light will stop flashing and the time on the screen will start counting up. You are now recording.
10 – When you are finished recording, press the HOME button. Press and HOLD the HOME button for a few seconds to turn off the recorder.
11 – To move your recordings from the recorder to your computer, make sure the recorder is OFF. Connect a USB cable between the recorder and a USB port on your computer. Please the HOME button to turn on the recorder. On the recorder screen, use the + or – to select “SD CARD READER”, press ENTER. Your computer may prompt you to select what you want to happen when you connect this recorder. Regardless, the computer will now see your recorder as an external disk drive. You can open Windows “FILE EXPLORER” and look for “DR-05X” under “This PC”. Click “DR-05X”, double-click the “MUSIC” folder. In this folder, you will find your recording(s). You can treat these files like any other files on your computer. Rename or delete the files here, or copy the files to a location of your choice on your computer’s hard disk. When finished, press the HOME button to turn off the recorder.
Feel free to reference the manual for advanced operations. If you have questions, please contact us for assistance.
Stereo Handheld Digital Audio Recorder and USB Audio Interface details
The standard in stereo handheld recorders!
The TASCAM DR-05X set the standard for stereo handheld recorders with its powerful features, simple interface and excellent sound quality. It is the first choice for recording meetings, music, audio-for-video, dictation, and more.
Record anything, anywhere
Pro-quality audio at an unbelievable price
Record events, music, meetings, ambient sounds, and more
Ultraportable size and extremely long battery life
Record hundreds of hours of audio on a single SD card
The TASCAM DR-05X allows high-quality recording utilizing an easy-to-use interface and is portable, powerful, and a true value. Dual internal condenser microphones can handle anything from subtle to loud to 125dB SPL, with sensitivity to capture every detail.
The layout of the DR-05X has been revamped to be quick and easy to work with one thumb. Operations like recording, adjusting levels, deleting bad takes and adding markers are just a button press away.
Menu display of DR-05X supports 10 languages: English/ Spanish/ French/ Italian/ German/ Russian/ Chinese/ Korean/ Japanese/ Portuguese
DR-05X uses only two AA batteries and has ultra-long battery capability. When using built-in microphones, recording lasts 17.5 hours when recording with standard 2ch WAV, 44.1kHz/ 16bit format using alkaline batteries. Also DR-05X can be powered by a USB mobile battery as well for super long extended use.
Connect to a PC using USB Audio interface mode, and DR-X becomes a tool for voiceover work, live streaming, podcasting and songwriting with studio-quality audio.
Built-in microphones work as USB microphones without complicated driver installs.
Auto tone function provides easy-adjustments for on-site movie editing, ideal for DSLR filmmaking. The internal slate tone generator produces various tones for easy track making and recognition. Please use the dedicated accessory kit (AK-DR11C) for connecting.
Writing down what you hear – easier said than done, but it is actually easy with DR-X. In addition to its capability to capture crisp voice recording, DR-X can help you with its Jump back function, variable Speed function and equalizer preset for human voice.
TASCAM DR-05X Handheld Recorder Features:
- Portable recorder for dictation, voice recording, musicians, podcasting, and field recording
- Dual omnidirectional condenser microphones for stereo recording
- 2-in/2-out USB audio interface for Mac and PC
- Dictation and Auto Recording modes simplify certain recording tasks
- One-touch user interface with Quick Menu button for most functions
- Up to 17.5 hours of operation from 2 AA batteries
- Supports high-capacity microSDXC card media for hours of recording time
Auto recording function can detect the sound input signal level and automatically start recording. Also, Pre-recording function with up to 2 seconds pre-record provides fail-safe protection even when you are a bit late to hit the record button.
Peak Reduction works in rehearsal mode or in record. Even if the sound or performance is louder than the sound check you’re safe. Combined with Auto level and Limiter for preventing distortion, you never have to worry.
If you don’t like the last part of a phrase you just recorded with your guitar, or if you change your mind and want to rephrase narration, the “Overwrite mode” is exactly what you need. Overwrite mode allows punch-in recording from a desired point. It is destructive editing with one level of undo.
The overdubbing function allows for Overdub Recording while playing a previously recorded file. This allows you to record other parts such as a guitar solo over a recording previously made such as at a rehearsal studio. Overdubbing creates a new file, leaving the original file unaffected, making it easy to re-record.
DR-05X supports a microSDXC card, which can record longer with larger data capacity. If you record a stereo file at 44.1kHz/ 16bit CD quality, a 128GB card holds 192 hours maximum. In MP3/ 320kbps mode, it can record up to 896 hours.
Features at a glance
- Stereo omni directional condenser microphones
- Support multiple menu languages (ENG/FRA/DEU/ITA/ESP/RUS/PRT/JPN/CHI/KOR)
- Overwrite function for Punch-In recording with one level of Undo
- Functions as a 2in/ 2out USB Audio Interface for Mac, PC or iOS recording
- Dictation mode designed for human voice recording and transcription
- Reverb effect for vocal and instrument resonance
- Auto recording function that can detect the sound input signal level and automatically start recording
- Proven high sound pressure design for capturing loud sounds of up to 125dB SPL
- Peak reduction function
- Self timer recording function
- Seamless gain control
- Three low cut filter levels (40/80/120Hz)
- Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 2.0 times (in 0.1 increments)
- Level align feature that prevents uneven volume levels
- Equalizer setting for adjusting playback sound quality
- Divide/delete functions
- Loop/repeat playback function
- Resume function that retains the last stop position and starts playback from that position when power is turned back ON
- Jump back and play (1 to 10 sec in 1 sec increments, 10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec)
- QUICK menu button for easy access to various functions
- High-quality 96kHz/24-bit WAV/BWF linear PCM recording and long recordings as MP3 files possible
- microSD/microSDHC/microSDXC (up to 128GB) cards can be used as recording media
- Mark function that can set up to 99 points for a single track Mark information can be utilized by BWF compatible software
- Audio files created on computers can be played (Only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with an output of 0.3W
- Pre-recording buffer that can record up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- When a predetermined maximum file size is reached, a new file is created to continue recording
- Track increment creates new files at arbitrary locations during recording
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- The first six characters of the file name for recording can be set freely
- Playlist function
- A chromatic tuner is equipped which is helpful for practicing musical instruments
- Stereo mini jack for external stereo microphones (provides plug-in power) / External line input
- Stereo mini line output / Headphone output connector
- 128×64 pixel graphic LCD with backlight
- High-speed file transfer to a computer is possible using USB 2.0
- Powered by 2 AA batteries, USB bus power, or optional AC adapter (PS-P520E)
- Tripod attachment screw-hole built in to the unit
|Recording Media||microSD card (64MB to 3GB), microSDHC card (4GB to 32GB), microSDXC card (up to 128GB)|
|File System||FAT16/32, exFAT|
|Recording File Format|
|WAV / BWF|
|Sampling Frequency||44.1k / 48k / 96k Hz|
|Bit-depth||16 / 24-bit|
|Sampling Frequency||44.1k / 48k Hz|
|Recording Bit-rate||32k / 64k / 96k / 128k / 192k / 256k / 320k bps|
|Playback Bit-rate||32k to 320k bps, VBR, ID3TAG Ver. 2.4|
|Number of Channels||2-channel (Stereo) / 1-channel (Mono)|
|Playback speed control||0.5 to 2.0 times (in 0.1 increments) * 44.1k/48kHz only|
|Built-in Microphone||Omnidirectional, Stereo|
|Connector||1/8″ (3.5mm) Stereo Mini jack (Unbalanced, Plug-in Power)|
|Nominal Input Level||-20dBV|
|Maximum Input Level||-4dBV|
|Input Impedance||18kΩ or more (PLUG IN PWR: OFF)
2kΩ or more (PLUG IN PWR: ON)
|Connector||1/8″ (3.5mm) Stereo Mini jack (Unbalanced)|
|for LINE connection|
|Nominal Output Level||-14dBV (10kΩ load)|
|Maximum Output Level||+2dBV (10kΩ load)|
|for Headphones connection|
|Maximum Output Power||20mW + 20mW (32Ω load)|
|Connector||USB Micro B-type|
|Format||USB2.0 HIGH SPEED|
|Built-in Speaker||0.3W, Mono|
|Low-cut Filter||40 / 80 / 120Hz|
|Chromatic Tuner||C1 to B6, A4 = 435Hz to 445Hz (in 1Hz increments)|
|Effector||6 presets (Hall 1, Hall 2, Room, Studio, Plate 1, Plate 2)|
|Tripod attachment screw-hole||1/4″ Tripod attachment screw-hole|
|Power||2 AA Batteries, USB bus power, AC 100 to 240V (optional AC Adapter)|
|Power Consumption||1.7 W (Max)|
|Battery Operation Time (Recording)|
|Alkaline (EVOLTA)||approx. 17.5 hours (2ch WAV, 44.1kHz, 16-bit, using Built-in Microphone, JEITA)|
|Ni-MH (eneloop)||approx. 15.5 hours (2ch WAV, 44.1kHz, 16-bit, using Built-in Microphone, JEITA)|
|Dimensions (W×H×D)||2.4″ × 5.55″ × 1.02″ / 61 × 141 × 26 mm|
|Weight||4.1 oz. / 116 g|
|Fs 44.1kHz||20Hz to 20kHz, +0/-1dB (EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
|Fs 48kHz||20Hz to 22kHz, +0/-1dB (EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
|Fs 96kHz||20Hz to 40kHz, +0/-1.5dB (EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)|
|Total Harmonic Distortion||0.01% or less (Fs 44.1k/48k/96kHz, EXT I Not LINE OUT, JEITA)|
|Signal-to-Noise Ratio||94 dB or higher (Fs 44.1k/48k/96kHz, EXT I Not LINE OUT, JEITA)|